About Marked for Musikk
Marked for Musikk is an annual showcase event where professional artists present concerts aimed at a young audience from 0 to 18 years. The event’s target audience consists of bookers and producers for festivals, concert halls and venues of all types and sizes, as well as The Cultural Rucksack (school concerts).
- The event is set in the coastal town of Larvik (120 km southwest of Oslo).
- It takes place over three days in October every year.
- 70 musicians divided between 25 acts participated in 2015 – 20 in the main programme and 5 in a smaller showcase we call “Spot on!” (a stage for artists with new concert ideas and/or up and coming artists).
- There are no genre boundaries.
- 2016 will host YAMsession.
- A growing event that attracts participants from all over Norway. Approx. 120 delegates participated in 2015.
- Pupils from local schools and kinder gardens are present during most concerts and play an important role in creating a realistic setting for the musicians.
- The event is a collaboration between Vestfold County Council and Larvik Council.
- The event is supported by Norwegian Arts Council.
- Contributors include Concerts Norway.
Generally, each day focuses on defined age groups:
Day 1 – 0-12 years
Day 2 – 6-12 years
Day 3 – 13-18 years
The Programme Committee and Advisory Committee
The event organisers work with a Programme Committee, whose role it is to discuss and advise on the musical content of the event. In addition there is an Advisory Committee, whose role it is to look at the bigger picture (relevance to the participants and the market, quality and development of the event, guest speakers etc.). Members of both committees represent the event’s target audiences (festivals, concert halls/venues, The Cultural Rucksack/Concerts Norway and professional artists).
Practical Information and how to apply
Larvik is a 20 minute drive from Sandefjord Torp Airport, there is a ferry connection between Hirtshals (Denmark) and Larvik, and there is a train to Larvik direct from Oslo Gardermoen Airport (2,5 hours).
- Marked for Musikk does not pay a fee, but does reimburse agreed travel expenses, as well as provide accommodation and meals during the event. In addition, Marked for Musikk will provide necessary technical equipment and sound/lighting crew.
- There is no deadline for applying to take part in Marked for Musikk. If we believe a concert fits the bill, we will try to find a slot in the event. If the current year’s event is full, we will make a new attempt the following year. We do, however, aim to have most slots filled by early summer.
- If you are in the main programme, you will be given up to 30 minutes to showcase your concert. If you are appearing on our Spot on! stage you will be give 10-15 minutes to showcase the concert and a 5 minutes after-talk with a presenter.
- The programme allows for parallel showcases, which means that some participants may choose to leave one concert to catch a glimpse of another, while others may arrive midway. Delegates are reminded to do so discretely.
- There is no application form. We advise interested musicians to send us information about the following:
- The concert itself, such as the story line (if relevant), the musicians and what part they play in the concert, etc. (max 200 words).
- The target audience (age group).
- What kind of tour(s) you are hoping to get (school concerts, festivals, concert halls and/or other venues*).
- Technical requirements.
- Travel requirements to Larvik and Marked for Musikk – who will be travelling, how you will be travelling and from where?
- We will require video footage (preferably from the proposed concert from start to finish).
*Included in “other venues” are libraries, of which there are a growing number in Norway who wish to show intimate concerts for young children.
Information should be sent to:
Linda Gjersøe Helseth
+47 91 34 57 33
Once you have sent us the information above, you will hear from us shortly if the concert/music production fits the bill. If you don’t hear from us, but need an answer, please do not hesitate to make contact. Note that all information and video footage is for internal use only.
The Programme Committee goes through up to 200 programme proposals each year, and rates them according to the Danish «divining rod-model». The following considerations influence the choices made: Target audience, genre, group composition, geography, topic, economics and gender balance. These considerations are among the reasons why high quality productions may not be offered a place in the programme.
Surveys carried out after Marked for Musikk 2014 and 2015 showed that 100% of participating artists who responded would recommend fellow artists to participate.